Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Years! Let's invade Russia!


Smash Up! Fun, but
5-year olds get
analysis paralysis
So are "games for New Year's Eve" a new tradition or something I've just aged into? My son insisted on a game of Smash Up after I got home from work on the 31st (pretty fun game, although I haven't figured out the trick to getting the Wizards to be useful yet). After we wrapped up, we piled into the car and went to a family party (kids downstairs, 'rents upstairs) where various party games were broken out. After we returned home to put our boy to sleep, my wife and I broke out "Command and Colors: Ancients" for its inaugural game, finishing up just before the ball dropped.

The next day I joined my buddies for our 2nd annual Axis & Allies game. Checking my various social media feeds after getting home I saw tons of game playing across the board, even by people who aren't "gamers" per se. Even a bunch of coworkers broke out Catan and Cards Against Humanity for the New Year. Is this a trend, or is everyone I know just old and ditching the drinking (and subsequent hangovers) for quieter pursuits?



3 comments:

  1. We played dominoes the night of and the boys and I played Battles of Westeros on New Years day. I'm pretty sure it's a sign that we are all old as dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha totally! Ah well, at least I'm too old to care that my drinkin' days are behind me.

      Delete
  2. You are a lucky man, getting to play C & C with your wife. NYE with gaming is the best.

    ReplyDelete